Monday, March 1, 2010

Sweet is the Peace the Gospel Brings...

This week has been somewhat of a whirlwind for my family. First, my mom was recovering from some more surgery relating to her struggle with breast cancer. We received an email from my brother serving a mission that he feels as if the adversary has taken a hold of him and that there is a dark force around him all the day. He is really struggling with this and is trying to get through each day. Then, my sister was admitted to the hospital with blood clots in her leg and lungs. The next day, my dad had an angiogram and found out that 2 of his previous bypasses are now closed and he needs his aortic valve replaced.

I felt impressed that I really needed to go to the temple, so on Friday I went with a friend of mine from my ward. It was such a good trip and I am glad that I went. I was brought a lot of peace that was much needed. I then woke up early to a phone call from my mom on Saturday that there was a huge earthquake in Chile- where my brother is serving. I was heartbroken and a little numb about everything that had been happening but I said a quick prayer to help me get through this. I was obviously concerned about my brother (and the rest of my family) and did cry a little at one point. Other than that one time crying, I was filled with so much peace and comfort the whole weekend. Every time someone asked me how things were going, I was OK. Yes, our family was experiencing a huge amount of adversity and trials, but I was calm. I was not an emotional wreck. I was able to move about the day and understand that things were going to be ok.

I KNOW that the only reason I was able to have this experience this weekend was because of going to the temple. I am convinced that the Lord knew I needed it, which is why I felt so prompted to go. I am so glad that I listened the the Spirit and went. The comfort I have felt all weekend has been amazing.

The Gospel is incredible in what it can do for you and I. To have so many family members going through such a hard time and to also feel helpless, it is wonderful to know what the Lord can do for me. He can lift my spirits, calm my troubled heart and give me perspective. I know that some things are out of my hands and that we still may experience more heartache. With an eternal perspective, it will be easier to handle and understand that we have the opportunity to live with each other forever.

I love the message of this hymn, and want to share it with you.

SWEET IS THE PEACE THE GOSPEL BRINGS

Sweet is the peace the gospel brings
To seeking minds and true
With love refulgent on its wings,
It clears the human view.

Its laws and precepts are divine
And show a Father's care.
Transcendent love and mercy shine
In each injunction there.

Faithless tradition flees its pow'r,
And unbelief gives way.
The gloomy clouds, which used to low'r,
Submit to reason's sway.

May we who know the sacred Name
From every sin depart.
Then will the Spirit's constant flame
Preserve us pure in heart.

Ere long the tempter's power will cease,
And sin no more annoy,
No wrangling sects disturb our peace,
Or mar our heartfelt joy.

That which we have in part received
Will be in part no more,
For he in whom we all believe
To us will all restore.

In patience, then, let us possess
Our souls till he appear.
On to our mark of calling press;
Redemption draweth near.

3 comments:

  1. You're just awesome girl! (and I love the new format) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you. Thanks for that beautiful post. You're amazing and are filled with a faith I would love to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thinking of you always!! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you!

    ReplyDelete